Thursday, August 24, 2006

And you thought it could only happen in the movies.....


Dad was hospitalized on Monday. When I was informed, it was suspected food poisoning. Honestly, I suspected it was something more serious as he had been complaining of stomach discomfort pretty often within the past 2 months. It happened every few weeks or so. He attributed it to indigestion.

Visited him almost everyday since he was admitted on Monday, eye-whites turned yellowish and it was due to jaundice. He was also vomitting. Doctors ordered some tests including one for Hepatitis. In the end, it was actually liver inflammation as well as gall bladder stones.

Driving mum to and fro for the daily hospital visits took a toll on me as well. I now find myself nursing a flu. Might be some germs I picked up or just due to the stress of the whole ordeal.

I've never spent so much time at a hospital in my life.

On the first day, I was going down to get some papers for mum to read while she waited to accompany dad. Got into the lift along with about 5 or 6 other people, one of whom was an intern I suppose as she looked young.

I was on the 12th floor and had to get to the Ground floor. Along the way, the lift stopped and an attendant and a nurse wheeled a patient on a bed into the lift. Because the bed took up about 3/4 of the lift, the attendant requested the rest of us to squeeze on one side of the lift.

And it was a tight squeeze - the young doc actually had to press her back against me, full body contact. Now, can you say "What's up, doc?" :P

Truth be told, I was very well behaved so nothing was "up". And you thought it could only happen in the movies eh? I think the doctor was pretty embarassed as well.

Today, there was some sort of drama happening in the lift as some nurses were having some heated discussion with one of the doctors as I was leaving. Something about wrong information being noted on x-rays or some shit like that. Imagine that?!?!?! Discussing the mistakes in a public area, and in a lift at that!

The multi-storey parking is one of the worst designed I've ever seen. The ramp going up is so steep that even driving an automatic transmission is a chore. Not only that, the pathways are so narrow. Shame on the people who designed that parking lot. Shame.

Last update is that dad might be discharged today - so that's good news.

No comments: