Sunday, December 17, 2006

Murphy's Law: If Something Can Go Wrong, It Will.....


It was supposed to be a simple in-and-out job. The plans were all laid out last night. I was supposed to meet the seller at Lowyat at about 2:00pm. I'd give her the money, get my merchandise, then leave.

The seller told me she would call me up at about 12:00pm today, just to confirm if she has available stock. I waited until about half-past 12 and still nothing. I made the first move. She answered but told me she would have to call me back after 10 minutes - she had to check with her supplier first.

She called me back and she told me that the price has increased by RM 30. We had an agreed price of RM 1205 last night! Still, I agreed. I was desperate. I couldn't wait any longer. I just had to have it. I told her I'd see her about 2:30pm at Lowyat, as agreed.

And as if it was all fated - things didn't go as planned. I got held up at home waiting for some people as Dad was going to send me out to the LRT station. After waiting about 15 minutes, I couldn't wait anymore as the group of people had not arrived. Both sisters wanted to go out shopping.

On the way out, I received a call from the seller's friend informing me that the seller could not meet me due to an emergency and her phone line was barred. I was at the traffic lights when I got the call. Because of that, I did not go to Lowyat. Because of that, I did not manage to get my new Sony Ericsson K800i. Because of that, I was not happy!

To make matters worse, the seller informed me that the price would continue to go up due to Christmas coming and might continue to go up until New Year. Does that mean I have to wait more than a month to get my phone! Shit!

Finally decided to go to 1Utama where both sisters wanted to do their shopping. I had reasons to go there as well - received a sms a few days back that my Sideshow Aragorn figure had finally arrived. It's been like a month or so after another store has received their shipment. But there's a saying, "Better late than never".

After spending more than 10 minutes looking for a parking space, it was finally about 4:00pm when we stepped into the mall.

As we were walking to the mall, I noticed a rubber bit of my shoe (that holds the laces) had detached itself! Me not happy! Grrr >:(

It's a good thing that my Air Presto's are slip-ons and the laces aren't really required.



Sisters decided to meet back at 5:00pm. Which was fine as I only needed to collect my figure. Spent about 1/2 an hour checking out various shops ie. Hush Puppies (there's a pair of shoes that I want), City Chain (there's a Seiko watch that I want - 25% discount too!), Jusco and Toys R Us for toys (I might want to get the RISK Boardgame, I don't know why), some chocolate shop - Cocoa Tree, I think (Nope, no Reese's Peanut Butter Cups there but Cadbury Old Gold - Rum & Raisin costs RM 15.90)

I finally arrived at the toy store only to find the shutters almost fully pulled down, but there were people inside. The sign on the shutters said they were out on break. The lady who sat outside looked familiar, I could swear that she works at the toy store. What the hell was she doing outside, taking a break? I walked off around the corner and I called the mobile number on the sign. Another one of the staff answered and said they were on break and would re-open at 6:00pm!

By that time, it was only about 4:45pm. Again, that added to the anger/disappointment. As I walked away, I had the feeling that I would not be getting my figure. And again, I thought it was fated. It was the 2nd item in a day that I wanted to get but was not able to!

As I walked back to the place where I was supposed to meet Dei and Daf, I got an sms from them that they were not done and needed another 30 minutes. It was almost 5:00pm. So off I went to Movie Magic, listened to some CDs, then stepped next door to get the glue for my shoes. The other pair - yes, it would appear all of my shoes are coming apart!



The Gaping Mouth

That said, the Nike Air Cortez is one of the damned best pair of shoes I've ever owned. Light and Super comfy, great for walking. I might need to hunt down another pair of these in a different colour.



Nike Air Cortez

After waiting around for them, it was almost 6:00pm. Decided to go back to the new wing where the store was located to collect my figure. When I got there, the shutters were still closed! And there were people at the counter. A few other people (potential customers) were waiting around but walked off.

Finally, I thought I had enough after waiting for about 15 minutes, I walked to the shutter and started looking through the holes. The guy who answered the call earlier came over and raised the shutters. Another couple came and asked if they were opened. The guy replied that they were about to close. The couple said they wanted 10 minutes to look around. The shop attendant then asked if the couple was going to buy anything. I don't remember his reply. He then turned his attention to me and asked if I was going to buy anything. I told him that I had an order to collect. Only then he let me in. "I should have done that earlier", I thought. MONEY TALKS!

As I went in, the owner came out and I told him that I was there to collect my order. He told me to just pick one box off the shelf. He then proceeded to tell me that the reason they were closed was because someone stole the mobile phone of the lady off the counter! Damn! And the reason they were closing early was probably to go make a report either to the building management or the police. Even though they had gone through a rough time, the owner and the other attendant still managed to indulge in some small talk about some of the other characters in the line that I was getting.





After a long and stressful day, it was time to leave. At least I got 1 out of the 2 items I wanted to. As we were walking back to the car, I noticed another part of my shoe that broke off! What the fuck!



When I finally got home, I thought of doing some minor repairs to my shoes when horror of horrors, I noticed even more bits that were cracked! WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?



From the looks of things, I don't think I'll be able to wear this pair of Air Presto's anymore. I can attempt to glue back some of the bits but I have no idea how long they will hold. Maybe its time for them to retire. They have served me well since I bought them in Melbourne back in 2001 for about AUS $170.00. Super-light, comfortable as its made of a stretchy material that fits like a pair of socks.



Goodbye Nike Air Presto, its been fun knowing ya.....

We had a gift exchange activity at work for Christmas, some people call it Secret Santa. Our version is called "Guardian Angel". We all had to pick a random name and every Wednesday and Friday, we had to do something nice for our "mortal" whose name we picked. At the end of the game, our identities will be revealed to each other.

So far, I've bought chocolates and sweets for my "mortal" and for the final gift, a vibrating massager. A colleague from work had a look at it the other day and thought it belonged to me - asking if I was going to use it for "exotic pleasures". I don't know what he's talking about as the girl I'm getting it for appears to be the innocent type. But looks can be deceiving, who knows. The main reason I got it was because, in our line of work, it gets stressful at times and they could use a good massage. That's it - no other reason!



But after looking at it, I agree with that other guy that this massager can be put to more "imaginative" uses - especially with the design being a hand and all that.

As for me, the first gift I received was a card, with key words in the wordings highlighted. The gift after that was a piece of chocolate cake and a piece of what appears to be chocolate fudge. I honestly have no idea what that other thing was but its chocolate! So I'm not complaining. Finally, I received a little Hot Wheels car on Wednesday. And since I'm off until the 27th of December, I'll get the remaind of my gifts plus find out who my "Angel" is when I go back to work!



Call me greedy but the only thing I'd really want for Christmas right now (right off the top of my head I mean) would be either one of the following:



Sony Ericsson K800i VS Nokia N73ME

It would appear that I'm still having trouble deciding when I almost plonked down my cash for the K800i this afternoon!

No comments: