Wednesday, October 30, 2002

------------------------------------------------------------------
Day: Wednesday - 30th October 2002
Time: 11:23 am
Listening to: Keith Sweat & Xscape - Am I Dreaming
-------------------------------------------------------------------

What a week it has already been. Had the weirdest dream the other day. I dreamt I had just woke up and was in the bathroom about to brush my teeth. I looked into the mirror, then saw that 2 of the front teeth on my lower jaw and turned black. The enamel seemed to be a transluscent, semi-whitish colour while the insides were black. Could this be some sort of sign? That I should take care of my teeth better? Bloody freaky.

Also here's abit of information that not everyone might know. Was playing this trivia game on IRC once. It's amazing some of the stuff you learn just by playing games that test your general knowledge, history and geography amongst others. One of the questions asked were "Which is the only part of the body which does not repair itself?".

Yes people, the answer is "Teeth". Now why didn't we learn this in school? Or was I not paying attention? I thought about it and it was true. Dropped hair regrows from the hair follicles that we have. Cuts on one's skin heals with the platlets and plasma, which form a netting over the wound and the skin just regenerates. Well, this is just the top of my head from what I learnt in my Biology lessons. Don't take my word for it. Go read some books to find out more.

Anyway, a broken tooth does not grow back. A chipped tooth does not grow back. A tooth where the enamel gets dissolved by bacteria causing cavities DOES NOT repair itself by filling up the holes, naturally.

It's really weird. God gave us these Wolverine*-type mutant healing powers on almost every part of our body except our teeth. Why not? I mean even something as unimportant as our damned nails grow back. What's the point of our nails anyway? Why do we need nails for? Is there some scientific proven use for our nails? Other than scratching, what else would one need their nails for?

The paragraph above sounds like what a stand up comedian would say. I'm going to get this part copyrighted as one of the many million dollar questions!. If Jerry Seinfeld can bloody become a freaking millionaire having a show "about nothing", I want a piece of that pie while making some seriously good observations!

Time to take care of those teeth, people.

* NOTE: In case you people didn't know and are not comic fans, Wolverine's (in X-Men) mutant power is actually his rapid mutant healing powers. His bones being adamantium (is there really such an element?) were actually genetically modified. His retractable claws. Hmmmmm..... I'm not sure where his claws come from. Don't know if he was born with it or if it was part of the genetic engineering, when he was the lab-rat.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday - 30th October 2002 - suffered Temporary Hearing Loss

Had a shower in the morning. First day back at work after a week off. I must've gotten water into my ears. Couldn't drain them so grabbed a cotton bud and try to dry it out. Think I might have pushed too deep in because I suddenly couldn't hear very well. That scared the shit out of me. I keep holding my nose and trying to blow, like what we do when we're up in the hills when the air pressure is different. It didn't work. I had no time to worry about that, I was hoping it was temporary.

Walked to work. It was busy, rush hour traffic. People were driving to work, buses of school kids on their way to school, trams. The worse thing of it all, my hearing loss was so bad that I almost couldn't hear anything. It was quiet. I couldn't hear the revving of car engines, I couldn't hear the sound of the trams. Well I could but it was all so soft. I was really afraid by this time.

Ben was on duty and Andrew was already there. I told Ben about my temporary loss of hearing, he asked if I was well enough to work. After that, he started making fun of me. He would talk to me and then purposely keep quiet with just his lips moving. I was deaf but not completely deaf.

Decided if it didn't get better within the next couple of days, an appointment with a doctor was necessary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday - 29th October 2002 - Still partially deaf

Woke up in the morning still partially deaf. I conlcuded that it could be a flu that's causing this temporary hearing loss. I think that happens at times, doesn't it? Or I was just trying to convince myself that I was going to be alright.

Hearing started getting better as the day went on. Even Andrew's annoying singing and statements which annoys at times were like music to my ears. Seemed abnormally cheerful when I was working. Mood started going when the day got hotter and hotter. Didn't like the heat. I was sweating which is something that rarely happens at work. Does not help the fact that I had to move about 15 crates soft drink syrups (20 kg each) from the back of the store onto the shelves.

The best thing about yesterday was of course, I got my hearing back. I also got to see Katherine Hope! Yes! But shit - I didn't get to talk to her. She was probably checking her roster and Rob started chatting her up. She saw me and gave me one of her smiles. Why did I have to be busy at that time? Why couldn't I talk to her for just awhile? When will I see her again?

She was wearing one of those baseball type tees with the word MasterClass printed on the front, jeans and white sneaker and had her hair tied up in a ponytail. It's one of those t-shirts that makes fun of other companies. Hers was probably something to do with the "MasterCard". Among the other kinds of designs I've seen are:

- the Ford (car) logo but the word "Fuck" instead of "Ford"
- a print Harry Potter with the wizard, but the words "Harry Pothead and the Philosopher Stoned"
- a print of Homer Simpson smoking a joint of weed or something with the words "Stoner Simpson"

Yes, there are many more t-shirts like that and I saw them all at the store on Swanston Street. Can't remember the store name, could be "Off Ya Tree" or something and they sell bongs and do tattooes at that store.

Got home after work, showered, watched RAW, came online received a reply from Lily's office which mentioned something about me getting a visa. Had an irritating conversation with Dei and Dap. Don't know why I got irritated when they told me Dad kept insisting that the visa I got was my bridging visa. Had to search through my pile of documents to find that I already have my bridging visa. I think I've decided not to let them in on any information until I'm at least very sure of the details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Called Lily's office and spoke to Mr. Ong. He CONFIRMED that it was my PR visa that was approved. Made an appointment to see him tomorrow morning.

So this is it. 30th OCTOBER 2002. I'm officially an Australian PR. Strange as it may sound, I'm not jumping over the moon. Should I be excited? Am I normal? Is this a normal reaction? What's wrong with me?

The way I see it, it could be an exciting time ahead. New opportunities, new decisions, new challenges. All these also open up a new set of problems. Maybe that's why I'm not going "whoopedidoodah!" and bouncing off the walls. Maybe its information overload. First few days back at work, weather's shitty. A combination of factors.

Enough for now. Congratulate me when you see me chatting online? This is it for this entry. Signing off.

No comments: