Monday, December 03, 2007

Lost And Found.....

Aunt Cathy passed away on Thursday, 29th Nov 2007. She was Mum's twin, and was 52 years old.

She was discharged from the hospital slightly over 1 1/2 weeks ago, after surgery as she had cancer of the pancreas. She seemed to be recovering and doing well. Her death was sudden - she was staying at Aunt Connie's house and had just finished dinner and wanted to watch TV. While walking to the hall, she complained that she was short of breath and she just collapsed and stopped breathing.

The ambulance was late and only arrived after 30 minutes. By that time, it was already too late. The paramedics said that she died due to "cardio-shock". It was probably sudden death.

I was at work when it happened and was notified via SMS by Daphne.

The prayers and ceremony were held at the funeral parlour in Kampung Tunku from Friday, 30th Nov and lasted until this morning, Sunday, 2nd Dec 2007.

The last time I was at a funeral was probably more than 10 years ago. This one wasn't that much different, as far as I can recall. There were lots of chanting by the 3 female monks, lots of kneeling and standing.

Mum took it the hardest, with Aunt Cathy having lived with us for so many years and also her being Mum's twin sister. Then again, as I recall, Mum always cried at all the funerals that I've attended for all 4 of my grandparents. She was crying throughout the whole ceremony since Thursday.

May Aunt Cathy rest in peace.

I "announced" the incident in my Facebook status - I was truly surprised to receive an e-mail from an old college mate, Terence. He sent an email to offer condolences, but what really surprised me was that he remembered Aunt Cathy used to stay with us in Bandar Country Homes.

As I've known him for close to 10 years now, it wasn't something I'd expect from Terence - it looks like I found that there's another side to himthat I didn't know about.

No comments: