Sunday, May 20, 2007

My First Date With Superman

By Rois Rane

I haven't seen him in months. Almost a yer I think. Should I be feeling nervous?

We agreed to meet at the monorail station at about 8:50 pm. Initial plans to meet about 8:30 pm didn't happen. Schedules! Pffttt.....

The deal was for him to buy me Molten Lava Cake from Chilli's Grill & Bar. And I would buy him the Mocha Mud Pie from TGIF's.

At about 8:30 pm, he called me on my cell to tell me he alread arrived at the meeting place.

Oh my god!

The train was scheduled to arrive at 8:50 pm and he was already there. I told him that there was a problem at the train station and the train was delayed. I apologised.

He was such a darling *heart heart heart* and was totally understanding. He said it wasn't my fault, that problems do occur. He said that he would wait for me there. "I'll be here" he said. I felt so bad. I asked him if he had eaten, he said yes and he asked me the same. Good thing he's already eaten before coming to meet me. I would feel bad if he was starving while waiting for me.

I finally arrived at the station and I gave him a call. He said he was just around the corner. He drove up in this shiny white car. I stepped in and there he was in the driver's seat, in his Superman costume, blue with the red and yellow "S" shield on the chest. Just as I remembered it.

So - no flying then, no need to mess up my newly done hair. Which was a good thing. He seemed awfully quiet when I got into the car. Not like the previous correspondence we had online prior to meeting up. What if he was nervous? Why was he acting like that? He told me he was thinking about something. Then off we went.

When we arrived at Chilli's we had to wait a couple of minutes. Good thing they closed at 11:00 pm. The damn train schedules. We got our table and ordered our dessert. I think the Molten Lava cake is the best thing in the world! I should have taken pictures! I told him that the portion was too big for myself. I told Superman to share it with me. He ordered a Chocolate Shake, and I, a guava juice. We talked, ate and drank.

I shouldn't have ordered the cake - its fattening! And I kept insisting that over and over again. Even before I met him when I sent him all those text messages. He just smiled and laughed to himself. What is going on in that head of his?

As it was starting to close, I noticed the table next to ours getting up to go off. 2 ladies were having quite a feast there. I saw nachos, ribs and couldn't quite make out the other plate. They walked off, and they left their keys on the seat!

I called out to them, but they didn't stop and just kept walking. Superman got up, picked up the keys in a swift motion then ran off after them.

Superman saves the day! What a hero!

When he got back, we talked a little more. Then the waiter brought our bill and said they were closing up soon. Superman paid for it this time. I promised him that we will have the Mocha Mud Pie from TGIF's next weekend. Or the next tim we meet.

We talked some more on the way back to the car and on the way home. He was nice enough to send me back home. Again I commented that the Molten Lava Cake was too sinful. I told him that if we go out again next weekend, it will be for something light. Then we can go for the Mocha Mud Pie some other time after that.

Does that mean that there will be a 2nd date, and a 3rd date and so forth?

Time will tell.....

********** THE END**********

The story above was a true story, names have been changed to protect their identities.

*****************************

I've managed to reinstall Windows onto the laptop. Funny thing happened though. I thought I selected a fresh new install which would wipe everything off the main partition.

After the XP setup was done. I noticed that the main C: drive was almost full! Surely Windows XP and Microsoft Office do not take up about 50 GB?!?!?! Something wasn't right. It just doesn't make any fucking sense!

I dug deeper, looking at folders within folders. Then I found the answer. The "reinstall" didn't actually reformat the harddisk. All the old files were still there, in a different folder, under a different username. All the downloaded series were still intact. All the old games installed. All the software and applications. Everything!

On one hand, its a good thing that I still get to keep all my stuff and managed to fix the annoying issue of being not able to open folders via double-click.

On the other hand, I spent almost the entire weekend making the backups onto DVDs. That was a very time consuming task. However, it was the catalyst for me to backup all my files which I believe, has been long overdue and I've procrastinated long enough. This problem with the folders just gave me that little push I needed to be on my way.

Suddenly, the rain clouds were washed away. Clear skies ahead. And the world seems like a much better place already.

The laptop seems to run faster now. But comparing it now to 2 days ago, there was a noticeable lag which I didn't notice before this. Everything seems to run faster and smoother now.

But computing is so much more enjoyable now. Come to think of it, I think a reformat every few months would do the computer good. Tedious work, but alot more benefits in the long run. Maybe this will encourage frequent backups too!

Some random finds from the Net:

It looks like a scene from Fantastic 4 - The Rise Of The Silver Surfer.

From the shot, it looks like Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm have exchanged powers or something. Could it be a dream sequence?

Johnny on the left is supposedly the Human Torch while Ben Grimm is supposed to be The Thing. What's up with the role reversals?



Fantastic 4 scene



See anything.....abnormal? Look again!

No, she is not a he. Or at least I don't think so. (Speaking of which, that Korean transgender, Harisu, has gotten married to a Korean rapper. She was the one whose pictures being forwarded with the title "Most Gorgeous Girl from Korea" or something along those lines).

From what I read from the site where the picture was taken, that picture is not a photo of a real woman, but a 3D image. Wow!!!!!

I looked a little closely, and I think the curls of hair by her neck and the back gives it away a little. Still, very impressive. But then again, it could be a photo of real woman, with some fake hair added in to make it look like a real-looking fake.

Its so confusing, we don't know what's real and not anymore. Just like Harisu. Is she a real woman who was born into a man's body. Or was she really a man who wanted to be a real woman?



Harisu



Harisu and husband, Mickey Jung