Thursday, April 11, 2002

---------------------------------------
Day: 116
Status: Employed on part time basis (?)
---------------------------------------

Dear Diary ( Sorry - I just couldn't resist :p ),

Today I've earned my very first paycheck. AUS $45 to be exact. Yes - no one can now tell me how hard is it to earn a living yadda yadda yadda. I know how hard it is to earn money now.

I wonder what I should do with the two $20 notes and the $5 note. Should I keep them as rememberence? Should I laminate and frame it up? What should I do with it?

Almost tempted to spend it today after I got off work. Planned to get off at Lonsdale Street and walk to Myers and get Jamiroquai's
"A Funk Odyssey" but the lazy bone in me stopped me from doing so. Just sat in the tram and came all the way home, had a quick shower then off for a rest. Don't know why my second toe is hurting. Might have been in a bent position while I was doing work.

So in case some of you didn't know - I got a job as a kitchen hand at Shakahari, a vegetarian restaurant along Faraday Street (Near Lygon St) in Carlton. First day on the job, 5 hours standing,non-stop task after task. Let's have a look what I did today.

- peeled potatoes
- peeled and shred carrots (give me a decent-sized carrot and a hand shredder and I'll make you a studded dildo)
- chop onions (my poor eyes)
- slice toufu
- cube vegetarian meat
- moved some heavy tins and bottles to the store
- skewered vegetarian meat,onions,toufu and capsicum on sticks to make satay
- made some Indian kuih sort of thinggie
- wash dishes

Yes - I did mention something about a dildo up there, this is Rated-R after all. Can you imagine I was thinking of dildoes while peeling a carrot? Don't know why, it just came to me. I started shredding the carrot in one direction. Then I thought I'd have some fun and shredded it 45 degrees to the left, then shredded it 45 degrees to the right resulting in a rough, bumpy surface. I touched it and it was rough cause of the little studs I created on the surface of the carrot. Now - use that and you've got yourself a studded dildo :p

Anyway, I spent 5 hours on my feet constantly doing something after the other. Non stop. At the end of the shift, Mrs. Khaw offered me a meal which I accepted. Her sister offered to make me laksa but I told them I can't take hot and spicy food. They then said why not the satay that I helped to prepare! Why not? I had 2 satays with a creamy peanut sauce (which was really good), some pickled cucumber, a serve of vegies (long beans and peas) and a small serving of rice. This was their house speciality by the way. After lunch, helped wash up some more and then spoke to Norman who gave me my "trainee's wages" for the day. My first hard-earned AUS $45.

- ANITA -

Who's Anita? She's my new colleague and was the waitress on duty today. I don't know she was the one who was there when I got there this morning. I didn't really get a good look at her face in the morning. Anita had dark hair, short, probably shoulder length but she had it tied in a pony tail. She's Australian, possibly Greek. Not sure - didn't have a chance to chat with her.

I was busy doing my tasks in the kitchen and she came in with some dirty dishes.I looked at her and smiled. She smiled back and said.....

Anita: I'm Anita by the way....
Me: Hi *smiling*

Hrm - what a way to meet girls. I know, I know. Some of you must think I'm hopeless or something now. Sadly, didn't really get to talk to her much. She was outside and I was in the kitchen the whole time. She only came in once in awhile with more dirty dishes.

Before I left, I met Lim. He's the kitchen supervisor for the night shift. I'll be working for him tomorrow when I have to be at work at
4pm. He might be Malaysian, didn't really get to talk to him as well. He seems pretty close with the 2 aunties.

Mrs. Khaw's sister seemed abit strict at first but gradually seemed to warm up. She kept stressing the on the importance that there was no time to be wasted since they open for business at 12.30 pm. She was alright after that. Mrs. Khaw, as usual,was her chatty self. And oh, Norman was the manager for today. Seemed like a nice fellow. Offered me a cup of coffee not long after I started with my tasks today. After that, Anita came in offering orange juice.

Well - this is it for tonight. More to come tomorrow ( hopefully )

No comments: