Friday, April 12, 2002

---------------------------------------
Day: 117/118
Status: Employed on part time basis (?)
---------------------------------------

Today was my 2nd day at work. Was told by Lim to get to the restaurant by 4pm before I left yesterday. Tonight, I worked from 4 pm - 11pm. I reached home around midnight. I did mostly the same things I did on the first day but I learnt more today. I learnt how to garnish the dishes and had to assist in preperation of some of the dishes as well. According to Lim, it's not as busy tonight as it normally is.

My tasks for tonight were:

- made more satay skewers
- helped to prepare the food
- prepared garnishing
- helped to cook
- dishwashing
- cleaning up

I finally found out some of the names of the dishes we cooked up. The indian kuih thinggie is actually called croquettes. I guess its not an indian dish after all. The rest of the dishes were the satay, bon bons and some others.

There were 4 of us in the kitchen and a dishwasher called Carl from China. The rest were Ken and Lim (both Malaysians) and Brian from Hong Kong. Also met some of the waitresses and waiters. I remember Dennis and the other guy (who's from SS1). Both a little feminine in terms of character. Also met the 2 waitresses, one Australian ( quite pretty, with short hair, kinda like what Siti Hajar from back home used to have ) and the other one an Indonesian. Unfortunately, their names elude me at the moment. I guess I'm mentally exhausted from work. On both occasions, both girls introduced themselves to me first. There were another 2 Australians there, one was the manager and the other girl, might have been the assistant manager.

After work, we got our pay for the night. Tonight I earned AUS $ 70. I guess I've been promoted to AUS $10/hour now. Talked to Lim a little on the way home in the tram before he got off at Melbourne Central. He seemed like a nice guy. I asked him when I should come to work next and he said next Friday at the same time. He said he doesn't know if the Aunties need my help, so I guess I should wait for them to call me.

Dropped of my authorisation letter at Dr. Radford's office before I went to work this afternoon. It was drizzling the whole day and it must've rained earlier tonight. I can still hear the raindrops outside my window.

Played a game of Literati earlier in the day with PF. Other than that, the day was rather uneventful.

Guess this is all for tonight. More to come soon.

No comments: