Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Twist - Day 1

We just got back from Phuket earlier this evening. The trip was tiring but kinda fun. My feet are aching all over now from all the walking that I’ve done. I don’t remember ever walking so much. Not since I was in Melbourne.

Didn't think I could do but I survived 3 whole days with no Internet. Good thing I've had a TV to keep me company. I must say its not that I didn't try to get Internet access though! Tried at the airports but the so-called WiFi didnt' work. I needed to get the usernames and passwords.

We were staying at the Patong Bayshore Hotel in an area called Patong. It was on the West side of Phuket Island, about 45 minutes from the Phuket International Airport.

The weather was generally fine throughout the 4 days we were there. It only rained pretty heavily on the 3rd day. Walking was our main mode of transportation.

The first thing we did upon arriving was to look for something to eat after checking in. First meal in Phuket – Subway! Come to think of it, the prices are pretty expensive. I don’t know if its because Patong’s one of the more expensive areas. A meal at Subway cost between 200 – 250 Baht. That’s about RM 20 – 25. But it was the footlong submarine sandwich. Most of the fast food outlets charge that price for a set meal. While we were there, we had Subway, Burger King and some Pizza place.

Then it was back to the hotel for some rest before heading out for dinner at one of the many restaurants along the main street. Then, it was a short walk to a shopping mall called Jungceylon, about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. It was already late, so we didn’t have much time to look around.

Some sports shops were having sales of 10% – 80% discount on sports wear, shoes and other stuff. I did, however, manage to find a rare (in Malaysia) black costumed Spider-Man 3 action figure. Sold out in Malaysia, but I was still hesitating to get it.

No comments: