Monday, June 24, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Day: 188 (Monday, 24th June 2002)
Status: Week # 4
Days without PS2: 0 day(s)
Days without Cube: 0 day(s)
Listening to: Speed - White Love
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, what a day. You will not believe the things that happened today. Nothing that interesting but there are some sudden changes.

Went to sleep early last night thinking it would do me good since I had to get up really early this morning. Got up around 3 am, had some gastric pains so I decided to have some milk. Just when I flicked the switch for my room ceiling light, the bulb fizzled and popped. There is this particular sound when the tungsten ( if they still use tungsten ) wire breaks. Here I was, 3 am in the morning, without a light. After having some milk, decided to bring in the sprare bulb to replace the one that just blew. Thought I would change it later in the day. Then I realised that I would be awake early and there probably wouldn't be any sunlight then. Armed with my trusty "Maglite" keychain/flashlight and a chair, I was changing a light bulb at 3 am in the morning.

I couldn't go back to sleep after that. No matter how I tossed and turned, I just couldn't. I was lying in bed for 3 hours until I decided I might as well get up for breakfast and a shower before work. All I could think about was Georgia. :รพ

Got to work 15 minutes early and met the crew trainer, Tom. I've seen him before a couple of times. The only other person there was a guy called Andrew, whom I've seen many times before. I got a short tour of the place, so much bigger than Hawthorn. Tom said that Ben would talk to me about the work arrangements when he arrived. Took me some time to get adjusted to the breakfast menu since I've never done breakfast before. The other difference is that there is a drive-thru here so I had a crash course in that as well. I think it's alright and I'll manage as time goes by.

Later on, Wil and Ben arrive. Ben pulls me aside and talks to me. Tells me he has a full time opening for me and it's mine if I want it. Of course I want it! It's money!!! I said I'll take the job, then he told Wil, "welcome our new full timer". It seems that he specifically asked for me when O' Neal was transferred to Hawthorn. I guess he knew I wanted to work more hours and that was something that the Hawthorn store couldn't provide. I guess its like a symbiotic relationship. Erm, I wonder if I got that right. If memory serves, symbiosis is about 2 organisms depending on each other for mutual benefit. I think. Anyway, he also said that tomorrow will be my last day at Hawthorn and that he had 2 shifts for me on Thursday and Friday. And here I was a couple of days ago, complaining that I only have on shift this week. You see how quickly things can change over the course of time? Oh, here's the defintion of symbiosis:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
sym·bi·o·sis Pronunciation Key (sim-beo-sis, -b-)
n. pl. sym·bi·o·ses (-sz)

1. Biology. A close, prolonged association between two or more different organisms of different species that may, but does not
necessarily, benefit each member.
2. A relationship of mutual benefit or dependence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was given a break at 10.30 am and I was offered a free meal ( full timer benefits ) but I wasn't that hungry. The place felt alien. It just felt different. Maybe because I didn't know anyone there. Actually, I didn't really know the rest of the people at Hawthorn either. I know what's missing from this puzzle. Georgia. :D I was sitting in the crew quarters watching the news on tv. Ben was getting supplies and told me that I'd have my ID number for clocking in by Thursday. I also found out that Tony from Hawthorn is actually the owner's son! Wow. And he was a nice guy as well.

I guess tomorrow's the last day I'll be at Hawthorn for work. It feels weird. I just can't explain it. I stopped by the post office after work to get a "Thank You" card for the staff at Hawthorn. Just a little something to show them my appreciation. Didn't know the bloody card cost me about $ 5! It will probably read like an Oscar thank-you list. There will be some names mentioned. Also got some empty envelopes. I think I'm going to leave Georgia a little note and see what happens after that!

My eyes are all bloodshot. I think due to the lack of sleep. And it's only 9.08 pm and I feel as though as I need rest. I had a nap after work earlier. Got me a card to compose after this, and a little short note/letter to write as well.

Guess this is it for tonight.

No comments: